Seaweed, or macroalgae, refers to thousands of species of macroscopic, multicellular, marine algae. It includes some types of Rhodophyta, Phaeophyta and Chlorophyta macroalgae.Many seaweeds contain anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial agents.They're a food source for ocean life and range in color from red to green to brown to black. Seaweed grows along rocky shorelines around the world, but it's most commonly eaten in Asian countries such as Japan, Korea and China.The present uses of seaweeds at present are as human foods, cosmetics, fertilizers, and for the extraction of industrial gums and chemicals. They have the potential to be used as a source of long- and short-chain chemicals with medicinal and industrial uses.
Seaweed possesses tons of skincare benefits and healing properties, it is extremely beneficial for the skin and is explained as follows:
- Provides hydration to the skin: Seaweed is a famous hydrating ingredient in skincare products. As a powerful humectant, seaweed draws moisture to skin cells, with potent polysaccharides absorbing water and bringing it to the skin. This provides long-lasting hydration for moisturized-looking skin.
- Deep cleanses the skin- Seaweed deep cleanses our skin and reduces the build-up of spots and acne. In drawing out the toxins it rids the skin of blackheads and stimulates the renewal of damaged skin cells, leaving a clear complexion, smooth texture, tone and overall improved appearance of the skin.
- It reduces acne inflammation- Seaweed also contains antioxidants, which may protect the body from oxidative stress and reduce inflammation at the cellular level.
- Helps in curing skin conditions- Seaweed helps keep skin conditions like rosacea under control. “Since it's rich in B vitamins and is anti-inflammatory, it can also help with skin conditions like rosacea and inflammation,” says Dr. Jaliman.
- Removes dark spots- Seaweed skincare products can help to heal the damaged skin then regenerate the skin cells to clear the dark patches and reproduce new healthy skin cells.
- Adds glow to the face- Seaweeds also show naturally revitalizing and moisturizing properties. Scientists report that seaweeds contain humectants that help to retain water on the skin surface. In addition, hydrocolloids present in the seaweed hydrate and add glow to skin.
- Is anti-aging- Seaweed shines when it comes to anti-aging. Its high content of vitamin C promotes collagen production, which is essential for younger-looking skin. Skin looks and feels more supple and elastic. The vitamin E content contributes to UV protection, keeping wrinkles and sunspots at bay.
A lot of people are still not aware about this magic marine based ingredient , Lacuna light is India’s first marine based skincare brand, its vegan friendly, cruelty free, reef safe and plastic neutral. Seaweed is becoming the buzz-word for futurists. Lacuna Light’s products have golden seaweed as their main ingredient and guarantee results. They are suitable for all types of skin and would bring to you the efficacy of science backed skincare without compromising on the experience!